Ben Kuhl - April 28 2022
The Best Floating Shelves Bedroom Ideas
Floating shelves are a great way to make the most of the bedroom space you have available. They can be used on any wall in the house. However, when installed in the bedroom, they are a great way to display collections and books while keeping things nearby where you need them.
Deciding on the right floating shelf options for a bedroom can still be a challenging endeavor. It's important to think about what you want your shelves to look like, how you'll use them, and where the best spot (or spots) to put them will be. Once you've decided on those aspects, it's time to start getting those shelves installed and completing your bedroom.
If you’re worried about installation, don’t be. Floating shelves are simple to install and only take a few steps and even fewer tools. If you order yours from us, our instructions will walk you through the process, and we can guarantee that all the parts will be there.
Below, we've put together some tips for creating the perfect plan:
Decide on how you want to utilize floating shelves in the bedroom
Floating shelves are a great addition to use in any bedroom because they can be utilized to hold and display large and small items that you use on a regular basis.
- Consider installing one by the bed to act as a bedside table and to have a convenient place to keep books, devices, and lamps where they can be reached.
Image credit: Tessa J. via ShelfExpression
- Or place a longer shelf or shelves above the bed and use that extra space to display items or store clothing. One of the most popular ways to use floating shelves in the bedroom is to place them above your bed because it looks great and it uses an area of the wall that would otherwise be underutilized. This is an excellent space saver, especially if you don't have a lot of room to work with. It's also a great way to display pictures and other small items that you want to show off.
Image credit: Kara C. via ShelfExpression
- Floating shelves in the closet are another great option if you need more space to keep clothes, shoes, bags, sheets, blankets, or other items.
- Use floating shelves to create an entertainment center that goes well with the shelving in the rest of the room, looks great, and doesn’t take up a lot of unnecessary space.
Choose the right location for your floating shelves
Is the bedroom the right area for your new floating shelves? Here are some convenient bedroom-adjacent options to consider first.
Before you can begin to choose the right sizes and finishes for your custom floating shelves, you'll first need to know where you want them to go. This will have a big impact on what you ultimately decide on.
Image credit: Kelly M. via ShelfExpression
As with everything, there are advantages and disadvantages to placing your floating shelf in different areas. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of different placement options:
- In the hallway leading to the bedroom - If you place your floating shelf in the hallway, you'll be able to find a space for items such as coats, shoes, and bags. You'll also be able to display some of your smaller décor items.
- In the bedroom - If you place your floating shelf (or shelves) in the bedroom, you'll be able to use it to keep personal items, books, and other belongings. You'll also be able to use it to create a decorative theme around the room.
- In the ensuite bathroom – If your main bedroom has a bathroom attached, consider installing floating shelves in that bathroom. They are excellent for keeping personal products and towels organized and within reach.
Image credit: Anastasia R. via ShelfExpression
Determine the amount of storage space you need
When you are planning your bedroom space, it is important that the plan you choose has adequate storage space. Here are two excellent reasons why it will always be a good idea to have adequate storage:
It is easier to plan around - It will be easier to decide on the location of furniture, and where to place things.
It is easier to stay organized – Things are less cluttered when there are enough spaces to store them all away or put them on display.
Image credit: Kaitlyn M. via ShelfExpression
Consider how many shelves you will need as well as how wide they need to be, how much space there should be between them, and how deep the shelves should be to accommodate the items you will be placing there. Keep in mind that you can mix and match shelf sizes for a variety of purposes and items while still maintaining the same look throughout the space by using shelves that have the same wood and finish.
Pick the best materials for your bedroom floating shelves
The next step is to choose your materials. You have a number of options when it comes to choosing a material for your floating shelf. You’ll want something that offers a combination of strength and style. If you're looking for floating shelves for your bedroom, one of the most popular options is wood, which we recommend, of course! Wood floating shelves can be made from a variety of types of wood, including oak, pine, cherry, walnut, and maple. They each have a different look, price, and strength.
Image credit: Nikol L. via ShelfExpression
Another option is to use a metallic or glass floating shelf. These shelves are easy to clean, they are durable if treated right, and they can look attractive in any room, although they are particularly popular in bathrooms. You can also get a floating shelf that offers you a combination of both wood and glass, giving you a blend of style, durability, and strength.
Pick the right hardware
The next step is to choose your hardware. You'll want to make sure that you choose the right kind of brackets for your floating shelves. This is especially true if you're using glass floating shelves. The hardware you choose should be sturdy enough to support the shelf as well as the items that will be on it. It should also complement the design on your floating shelves. Some of the options when it comes to hardware include hidden brackets, dowel rods, and industrial pipes. However, this is a good area in which to get creative or upcycle prior shelf brackets.
Note: When it comes to strength, don’t leave invisible brackets out of the equation. Our heavy-duty Hovr hidden brackets are built to hold a considerable amount of weight without any bending or warping.
The Hovr Bracket System uses a male and female bracket that interlock and screw together to form unparalleled strength. This bracket system uses aluminum extrusion for production. The average load capacity is 300lbs. That’s enough to easily hold just about anything you can think of placing on a shelf. It’s also a big difference in comparison to the current industry standard for floating shelves, the 2-prong system. This design causes major weaknesses within the floating solution. The average load capacity is 50lbs. Skip the standard and always go with a Hovr system instead.
Choose the perfect wood stain or finish for your wood floating shelves
The kind of wood shelf stain or finish you decide on will be influenced by the type of wood you choose (assuming you go with wood). Many are natural colors that enhance the look of the wood. However, less natural and more colorful options are available. No matter what your bedroom décor, there is a stain or finish out there that will be perfect for making your handmade floating shelves blend in or stand out.
Make sure that you choose a finish for your shelf that is easy to dust and clean. You'll also want to make sure that it is easy to maintain and complements your decor.
Select the correct depth for floating shelves in the bedroom
This part is more crucial than many people first realize when planning on floating shelves. This is because the shelves need to be deep enough to hold the items that you want to store. The standard size for most floating shelves may not be deep enough for larger items, especially if you will be using the shelving to create an entertainment center. Make sure to measure the items that you will be placing on the shelves. This will help you to choose the right custom measurements for your shelving. Keep these general measurements in mind when planning:
- Decorative Items: 6" to 8"
- Personal and toiletry Items: 8"
- Coffee mugs and clocks: 8" - 9" for standard mugs
- Bookshelves: 10"-11" - The hardwood shelves are perfect to be used as floating bookshelves!
- Entertainment center items: 12". Heavy-duty items need heavy-duty depth. The 12" deep shelves are a perfect way to add beauty and extreme functionality to your bedroom.
Display items on bedroom shelving that match your style
Display photographs, décor items that go with your personal tastes, sentimental items, books, candles, small statues, hard-won items, vases, indoor plants, picture frames with sayings, or any of a variety of items that make the space uniquely yours. This is your chance to create an area that feels restful and absolutely as a home should be.
Creative uses for floating shelves in the bedroom
You don’t have to go traditional. Here are some ideas to consider:
- Use a floating shelf at the right level to create a small desk space for a laptop or as a charging station for your phone and other devices. Add more shelves, and an entire home workspace can be created!
- Add a custom floating shelf to the back of a closet door to get some extra room for those clothing items that get used frequently and don’t need to be hung up.
- Run a wood floating shelf across the width of a window to create a well-lit space for plants and utilize traditionally very underutilized space.
- Add some randomness to the room by placing shelves more chaotically. Instead of situating them in neat rows, create a feeling of artfulness.
Hi, I’m Ben! I’m a woodworker, shelf creator, stain matcher, and general DIYer who blogs about all things woodworking and current custom floating shelf design trends. I'll even try my hand at non-shelf topics. Anyone can be an expert these days as long as they sound authoritative, right? I may even add some humor here and there (my wife thinks I'm funny, sometimes). Here's my story: Learn more.